Snapshot

Aug. 23rd, 2013 10:19 am
outlineofash: Einstein's head superimposed on a muscular body. Above, text reads, "Ideas are sexy, too." (Text - Ideas are sexy too)
Reading these while I continue experimenting with my art style.

 photo 0806080c-7d62-462e-bcdd-08abcac6d0ab.jpg

Art Slump.

Aug. 17th, 2013 02:55 pm
outlineofash: A face half in shadow smokes a cigarette. Artist unknown. (Mood - Cynical)
It happens. I suspect my artwork is going through some form of metamorphosis, and right now it's at the stagnation stage. This is the only halfway decent result out of three or four attempts:

 photo justasketch8.png

I want to do something different, something better. I think I know the direction to take, it's just a matter of clearing out my system enough to get there.
outlineofash: A brush is dipped into red watercolor paint. (Art - Painting)
I've been painting with acrylics for four days, now. It's been years since I've touched them and boy can you tell. And it's not like I was ever really great. So it's frustrating and inspiring and plain bizarre relearning this medium. Verrry different from watercolor.

So far I've managed a painting a day, 30 minutes per painting. The one thing I've wanted to avoid is a bunch of crappy practice pieces taking up space in the studio, so I paint over work from the previous day and start fresh. It's very freeing, not hanging onto something good or bad (and so far, it's definitely been bad, ha!). But I'm thinking about taking a photo after finishing a piece, just to document my progress.
outlineofash: The back of a nude man hip-deep in shimmering water. Artwork by Kenny Callicutt. (Artwork - Deep Water)
 photo 547100_250036588474047_1630233719_n.jpg

This is how all my art ideas start off: scribbly sketch and scribblier notes, all on the back of the nearest piece of paper.
outlineofash: Illustration of a woman kissing the Angel of Death. Artwork by Yoko Tanji. (Artwork - Kissing the Angel of Death)
"Pale II"



Painted this after admiring Jenny Dolfen's way with faces. If you're interested in Tolkien fanart, fantasy art, or gorgeously detailed watercolors that are often explained step-by-step, I'd recommend visiting her blog.

Ack.

Feb. 7th, 2013 08:43 am
outlineofash: Headshot of a solemn man wearing wire-rim spectacles. (Sundry - Glasses)
Yesterday I broke out the watercolors for the first time in four months. Disaster. It's not a forgiving medium for rusty skills. But, I plan to do a set of thirty paintings to get some practice in. Thirty days of faces, I think, all with a limited palette; probably phthalo blue, alizarin crimson, new gamboge, and burnt sienna. Once I collect the photo refs, I'll start painting and posting.
outlineofash: A woman with red lips waits in shadow. (Sundry - Queen)
Two new pieces, and a glimpse into my painting process.





For this second one, I thought ahead and snapped photos for each part of the process. Placed behind cut due to multiple photos. )
outlineofash: A woman walks with an invisible umbrella. Artwork by Karen Klassen. (Sundry - Wind)
My creative plate looks very full until the beginning of December. This pleases me!

Writing-wise, there's NaNo prep and NaNo itself. I'm 90% sure I'll go with the science fantasy story about the inkwitch and the android. Which now needs a working title. The remaining 10% of my certainty is holding out until I've written a solid outline. The world the story is set in has brewed in my head for a while now, so as I dig into the outline I may post worldbuilding extras and related flash fiction.

Art-wise, I've started a new drawing. Another goat person, but it will contain more detail than I've yet done for this series. I'm planning to document how I go about in-depth drawings, using this one as the example. So if you've ever been interested in how I draw, you're in luck.

Also? The soundtrack for the new Judge Dredd movie is kick-ass. I have no intention of seeing the movie, but any time I learn a new science fiction movie is in theaters, I check out its music, because more often than not it will be an awesome industrial/orchestral fusion.

Profile

outlineofash: Close-up of an eye with a rainbow-colored iris and glittery eye shadow. (Default)
A. J. Navarre

October 2016

S M T W T F S
       1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 19th, 2017 08:54 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios